i’ve been really staying with the theme of desserts here lately for my recipe challenge…
this cake is again, from the gluten free cooking for dummies. i knew it was going to be hard to beat…that chocolate cake with cream cheese icing matt has made a couple times had been our standard go-to for chocolate cakes…but, it isn’t gluten free.
so, we tried another, and it was a huge success! thank goodness!
nonstick cooking spray
1 ¾ c. gf flour mixture
1 T. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
½ c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla
1 c. sour cream
3 oz. bittersweet chocolate, grated (i chopped up some chocolate chips for this)
¾ c. cold water
- preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray
- sift the flour mixture, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
- in a large mixing bowl, use the mixer to cream the butter until its fluffy.
- add the sugar and vanilla and continue whipping the ingredients until the sugar has been absorbed.
- whip in the eggs, one at a time.
- whip in the sour cream and grated chocolate.
- add the flour mixture alternately with the water and milk until the batter is well blended.
- pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- bake the batter at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
i should also add, that i put in a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder to the sifted mixture. it seemed weird to me to not have it. i think next time i might even go with 3 T. to give it more of a chocolate flavor. i made a simple chocolate frosting (1/4 c. butter, 4 T. cocoa powder, 6 T. milk, enough powdered sugar to desired consistency) to top the cake, but i think next time we should do the same chocolate cream cheese icing. yes, we love desserts!
i’ve got two, maybe three more recipes coming up this week, in fact, i just went to the store today. be looking out for a chicken corn chowder with corn bread, taquitos, and fried rice!